Whatever your reasons are for losing weight, they are valid so long as they do not endanger your health! A healthy weight loss process is very important because it is safe and will not cause you deficiency in certain nutrients or excess of a particular one. It is common knowledge that overweight or obesity poses health risks especially cardiovascular diseases. However, in trying to solve a problem, be careful not to create another for your body.
There are tons of weight loss diets or programs today. Some of them promise very quick results in as little as one month. Before jumping on weight loss program, take a critical look at it to find out if it is healthy and sustainable over a long period. If weight loss is for health, then it should improve your health and not harm you in any way.
Choose a Safe Weight Loss Program
Weight loss programs are becoming increasing popular due to high demands. A lot are being advertised and recommended by people who achieved success using it However, when choosing one, follow these simple steps.
1. Research About It. Most of the weight loss diet programs are based on a named kind of diet. It could be ketogenic, Atkins, paleo, vegan, low carb and so on. Read articles about them especially from medical blogs to know how they function in the body to facilitate weight loss. Find out their side effects or health risks if any and for how long an individual can go with such diet. This will help you make informed decisions and save you from wasted effort.
2. Find out what Nutrients they based on. A good number of diet programs, mostly consist of protein, fats, vegetables, fiber rich foods and fewer carbohydrates. This is because carb is the major culprit in weight gain. Can you go on such a diet for a long period without falling ill or giving up on it? Because if you start a weight loss program and stop after a short period, the tendency to regain your lost weight is very high because it means you will return to your old eating habits.
3. Availability of the Foods in your Location. This is equally very important because not all kinds of foods are readily available in every country or region. Check if you can easily get the foods in the plan. If you don’t have some of them, find out the alternative options available to you that will give you same results.
I find this weight loss program to be great because it combines diet and exercises to achieve weight loss.
Make Exercise a Routine
Whether on a weight loss program or not, exercise is a necessity. Aside facilitating weight loss by burning calories, it helps to keep you fit and healthy. If you don’t exercise frequently, start slow and increase pace and duration gradually. If you have not engaged in a particular kind of workout before, circuits for instance, expect some aches around your body after the first trial. This will go away as you continue and your body adjusts to it.
Bear in mind that you can’t achieve significant weight loss instantly so if your feel tired after a certain period exercising, drink water and rest. Also, play music while exercising to keep you motivated and going. You can also engage in exercises at home if you are too busy to go to the gym or exercise outside your home.
Avoid Skipping Meals
People often make the mistake of skipping meals to facilitate weight loss. This is not healthy as you starve your body of essential nutrients and crave more food. You might end up consuming much food when you decide to eat. The key thing is eating healthy foods in average portion size. Rather than skip breakfast, a simple yogurt and strawberry with chia or flax seeds is light, nutritious and filling. Rather than skip lunch, chicken or fish with vegetable salad is a great healthy meal that will help you lose weight without being hungry or starving. These simple meals will guarantee you a healthy weight loss rather than unhealthy meal skipping that can be counter-productive.
Create a Healthy Lifestyle
Many times, people focus on just weight loss without considering an overall change in lifestyle. Choosing a healthy lifestyle especially as you grow older will provide not just short term benefits but long term benefits as well. Consider eating foods that are rich in protein, minerals, vitamins, fiber and healthy fats, much more than foods rich in carbs or high in sodium.
Carbohydrates are required for energy, so rather than a total restriction(except you are on a ketogenic diet), you can eat complex carbs like whole grains which does not rapidly raise blood sugar. Quit smoking if you can because research shows that smoking is dangerous to health (there are no safe substances in tobacco). Drink less alcohol, ditch sugary drinks and consume lots of water. Blend fruits and vegetables to for healthy drinks, Get quality sleep and exercise regularly. This will go a long way to keep your body strong and healthy!
Take Low Calorie Healthy Drinks
These drinks are low in calories, will hydrate your body and also help to promote weight loss. They are also rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. These include
- Green drink made up of green leafy vegetables and green apples
- Green tea with lemon, mint and ginger or
- Cucumber and mint drink.
- Cucumber and lemon water
When choosing a detox recipe to try, choose the ones with ingredients that are low in carbs. Honey is very high in carbs and not a great option for weight loss.
Lastly, weight loss should not be some form for punishment. There are healthier alternatives to so many unhealthy foods. For instance, dark chocolate is weight loss diet friendly for chocolate lovers. Almond flour can replace the white flour for your baking.Stevia is a natural plant based sweetener that is a healthy option in place of sugar and honey. So what are you waiting for? Begin your healthy weight loss journey and enjoy the ride!